Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bella and Gypsy in the works

Here is a painting I am working on of our pugs. It is 12x16 oil on panel. I am choosing not to hide any of the brush strokes. This painting is taking a little more time due to it being under the portrait category i guess you could say. Basically Since it is something living I have to spend more time making each characteristic, shape, and form correct. So even the beginning sketch requires more time and attention in acuracy. The reason is that I focus on making the painting of my pugs, not pugs in general. This makes for a better end result. It's kinda like... anyone can draw a picture or paint a painting of a person... but to make it a painting of a specific person requires more attention and accuracy. If the begining sketch was off on the nose location or eye distance, the subject would not resemble the specific being being captured. I have had a ton of practice with this doing commisioned portraits. When doing those works the most important thing was to make the painting look exactly like the person they wanted painted or drawn. Not to just look like the person or resemble them. Here are some photos of the painting during it's creation. I will post the finished work upon its completion.


No comments:

Post a Comment